Molecular formula: C4H2O3
International name: Maleic anhydride
Synonims: cis-Succinic anhydride, cis- Ethylene-1,2- Dicarbonic acid anhydride, 2,5-Furandione
CAS Nr.: 108-31-6
Appearance: white crystals
Storage: Store in a dry, well-ventilated place.
The maleic anhydride is used:
- for the production of unsaturated polyester resins, plastic fibers and films, for the removal of sulfur and nitrogen compounds from aromatic hydrocarbons;
- for the manufacture of pharmaceuticals;
- for the manufacture of detergents;
- for the production of plasticizers, additives and stabilizers for fuels;
- in the food industry as a basic substance for the production of fumaric and malic acids;
- for the manufacture of some agricultural chemicals, e.g. Plant growth regulators (malein hydrazine), etc.